The Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site is located 10 miles from downtown St. Louis in a municipality called Grantwood Village. The site commemorates the life, military career, and and Presidency of U. S. Grant, who is originally from the St. Louis area. The site is known as White Haven and has 5 historic buildings located on the premises, including the childhood home of Grant’s wife, Julia Dent Grant. The property used to include 850 acres of land.
The property was eventually sold to William Henry Vanderbilt in 1881 to satisfy a loan made by Vanderbilt to Grant. Later, part of the property was bought by Adolphus Busch where he developed the Grant’s Farm property.
The property was rescued from becoming a theme park in 1913 by local St. Louis Real Estates Developer Albert Wenzlick. The main house was maintained by Wenzlick until his death in 1979. In 1979 the property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and made a National Historic Landmark in 1986. In 1989 the property was added the the National Park Service and is currently one of 400 properties managed by the agency.